Product Manager, Performance Analytics - Verscend
Product Manager Interview Tip
Be prepared to talk about the product development lifecycle on your interview. I base my entire set of interview questions around how well a candidate understands the flow of products from ideation through retirement.View the full interview guide for Product Manager, Performance Analytics at Verscend
Verscend builds a smarter healthcare ecosystem through analytics. Our 2,000 global professionals work at the intersection of high tech, healthcare, and “big data” in order to realize audacious aspirations for our healthcare system. Be it eliminating fraud, waste, and abuse; guiding population health management with data-driven insights; improving risk-based revenue for our clients; or re-envisioning support systems for new models of healthcare delivery, we hold ourselves to a single standard: having immediate and outsized impact for our clients, and by extension, the broader health community.
The Product Manager, Performance Analytics will provide the user perspective to engineering and other departments within Verscend. The manager is responsible for developing user stories, designing product workflows that enable ease-of-use for end users, and developing specific features and functions to improve and expand Verscend’s products and services. In support of these functions, the product manager will play a lead role in identifying, tracking and synthesizing the key data points to inform the product roadmap.
Reporting to the Product Director, this individual will have an understanding of the role performance analytics play in the healthcare system and a passion for product development. S/he will further have the capability to lead within a matrixed environment – to take the “voice of the customer” and translate that into detail-oriented requirements that yield best-in-class products. The successful candidate will demonstrate a unique blend of leadership, creativity, business judgment, industry knowledge, and execution-oriented thinking in the context of solution design and delivery.
Key responsibilities: The Product Manager will be the front-line leader to ensure that the voice of the customer is fully reflected in Verscend’s solution portfolio, in particular through development of user stories and close work with software development teams. Key responsibilities include:
- Product Attributes: Develop user stories for acceptance into the baseline product, as well as establishing detailed user personas and scenarios; maintain a groomed backlog. Provide product guidance and support for other departments, as well as sales support when appropriate.
- Prioritization: Assist Product Directors in driving strategic direction of products through prioritization based on sound business cases and thorough understanding of market/customer needs and direct interaction/feedback with clients.
- Voice of Customer: Work with clients and market-facing stakeholders to understand product needs in order to act as an effective customer proxy. Attend all required meetings (e.g., daily Scrum, sprint planning, grooming, sprint review, etc.) to ensure that customer needs are fully understood by all product development stakeholders.
- Quality: Evaluate software relative to user stories and end-customer needs to ensure high quality, effective software and solutions.
- Research: Conduct product research to further understand the competitive profile for the product segment and opportunities for growth.
- Communications: Provide product expertise and input into internal and external communications, release notes, training, and implementation collateral.
- Bachelor’s degree in healthcare, business, analytics, computer science, or related fields. Experience may be substituted for education.
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience working in a software development environment; healthcare experience preferred. Agile experience preferred.
- Experience with or understanding of care management, quality management or provider management programs a plus.
- Experience with software and product development lifecycles.
- Experience with analytics (e.g., utilization reports, quality measures, etc.).
- Must be self-motivated and passionate about creating applications for diverse and challenging healthcare problems, including the ability to understand user persona needs across different client types and translate those needs into specific product requirements that will deliver customer value.
- Ability to influence other departments to ensure deliverables are accomplished.
- The intellect and energy to excel in a complex and ever-changing environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience managing projects with an eye towards budget and timeline constraints.
- Willingness to travel up to 30% of the time.
Verscend is transforming the business of healthcare by providing data services, analytics, and advanced technologies that answer the industry’s most complex challenges. With a focus on reducing risk across all domains of healthcare, Verscend’s broad solution suite is designed to help health plans, employers, providers, and other risk bearing entities better understand the health and risk of their populations to improve quality, reduce costs, ensure payment accuracy, and support compliance. From effective population health management, quality reporting, revenue accuracy, and chart retrieval to tackling fraud, waste, and abuse, Verscend is committed to answering the unique challenges of its clients.